Architectural rendering of the original synagogue
Complteted in 1461, the giant scale and abundantly decorated prayer hall was built by the master craftsmen of the court in a late gothic and flamboyant style.
The largest synagogue of its time, it measured 26.2 x 10.73 meters, with an internal height of 9 meters!
Apartment building in the Castle Quarter, where in 1964, the synagogue was discovered during repair of the waterlines
One of the medieval pillars of the synagogue discovered during the excavation
The position of the synagogue (now underground), compared to the existing apartment building
Three of the excavated pillars, now brought across the street to the courtyard of the museum
A large stone rosette, recovered from the synagogue and brought to the museum
The courtyard of the apartment building, where the synagogue is buried......